property damage? Call 0818 333 354 today!

5 Fire hazards over the Christmas Period

Christmas fire hazards

It’s nearly Christmas time, one of our favourite times of the year. We are off work for a few days, we have our decorations up, and we’re looking forward to Christmas dinner and giving presents. It is a time when we turn on the heating and watch some Christmas movies, eating all the chocolate in the house. Christmas can be a magical time and a special time for families to come together. But there are more fire hazards at Christmas than usual. So you need to check your list just like Santa checks his. These are some essential tips to keep the house safe over Christmas. 

1. Christmas Trees

Christmas tree house

Christmas trees can be a fire hazard if not looked after. The following are some tips on Christmas trees:

  • Artificial trees are safer than real trees as they are fire-resistant, so it is much less likely to spread the fire. Only buy artificial trees with a genuine CE mark.
  • If you buy an artificial tree from an online site that you haven’t used before, you may risk your safety. They may not reach the safety standards expected. Only buy from a shop or website you know. 
  • Lots of people love real Christmas trees, us included. There are some steps to take to reduce the risk of the tree catching fire. Have a watering base under the tree to allow the tree to keep hydrated. The more hydrated and green the tree is, the more resistant it will be to fire. Dried out Christmas trees have been shown to completely burn out a room in less than a minute, which is nearly five times faster than a normal room fire.

2. Christmas Lights

Christmas lights

Christmas lights can be one of the main fire hazards over the Christmas period. We all love seeing the colourful lights and the feeling it gives off, but you must take steps to ensure they are all safe. The following are safety tips on Christmas lights:

  • If you are using Christmas lights in your home, you should switch to LED Christmas lights instead of the traditional Christmas lights. If you are leaving your house or going to bed, you must plug out all Christmas lights even if you are leaving the house for five minutes. 
  • Only use outdoor lights outdoor do not use any other lights outdoor. They are resistant to dampness and water, so they are protected when outside, unlike other lights. 
  • Check the wiring for any broken connections or kinks. Do not use any broken lights. They are a fire hazard. 
  • Never overload sockets and avoid the use of extension leads when you can.
  • Before you go to bed, unplug all your lights.

3. Christmas Decorations

There are even fire hazards around Christmas decorations that may surprise you. Here are some tips on staying safe:

  • Do not hang decorations near or over an open fire or stove.
  • Keep your Christmas tree away from fire sources such as a fire, stove, heater or candle. 
  • Christmas decorations are highly combustible so keep the risk to a minimum. Keep them positioned appropriately. Keep them away from the floors and any hallways so they don’t impede on your fire escape plan.

4. Candles

Christmas candles

Candles are very common over the Christmas period, and they are also a common Christmas gift. The following are some safety tips around candles:

  • Blow out candles at night time or if you are leaving the house. Do not let a candle lighting if you have left the room.
  • Keep them away from any flammable objects or use LED tea lights that are just as effective. 
  • Never place a candle on a tv, fibreglass or plastic.
  • Do not place a candle near a Christmas tree.
  • Keep candles away from curtains. 

5. Cooking

More ovens and stoves are used over Christmas, so there is a bigger chance that there may be fire due to cooking. Do not leave pots or pans unattended when the hob is on. They can overheat or burn. Always keep your cooker free from combustible items such as towels or napkins. 

If there is a grease fire. Never try to put out the fire with water. Water and oil do not mix well, and it will cause the burning grease to disperse and spread, making the fire potentially worse. Use a fire blanket and cover the flames.

(Bonus) Santa

  • Santa Claus has to come down the chimney, so make sure it is cleaned for him.
  • Make sure you have spare batteries in case Santa has not provided them. Never remove batteries from a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm. 


If your home has been damaged by fire, call us at 1890 354 354 to help restore your beautiful home to its former state.

Comments are closed.