House fires are one of the most dangerous accidents that can happen in the home and unfortunately can prove fatal. There are several steps you should take to prevent a fire in your home and raise awareness of fire safety.
Install a Smoke Detector
Smoke detectors help save lives every day, and they can also prevent your home from being destroyed by fire. The first step you should take is to install a functioning smoke alarm. They can help prevent or lower the risk of fire damage by giving you an advanced warning when they detect smoke. The following are essential places to fit a smoke alarm:
Another critical step to take is to test them regularly. You should also replace the batteries at least twice a year to ensure they’re in working order.
Another cause of house fires is caused by electricity. Most of these fires take place due to the inappropriate organisation of electrical appliances or defective products. To prevent electrical fires, you should take these steps:
- Do not overcrowd your plug sockets.
- Do not use broken cables
- Unplug any appliances when not in use
- Keep heaters away from walls
You should check your cord placement before plugging anything in. Cords tend to get hot, so do not place them near furniture or under a rug.
Be Careful With Candles
We all love scented candles. They bring a pleasant atmosphere to the room and a lovely aroma. If you don’t use them carefully, they could cause a fire. Before you exit a room, you must make sure you blow them out. You should also keep them away from any blankets or other objects that may catch fire,
Chimney fires are very common in Ireland. If you have fire lighting in your house, then you should take the following precautions:
- Have an effective spark guard and ensure it is in the correct position when children are around.
- Get your chimney cleaned twice a year.
- Do not leave any flammable material near a fire.
Portable heaters are a big contributor to house fires every year around Ireland. These heaters should only be used in well-ventilated spaces and away from furniture and other combustible materials. If it is faulty, you should unplug it and get a replacement, and a defective portable heater could catch fire easily.
If a fire does start in your house, you should have some fire extinguishers ready to defend you and your home. You should have one in every room that is a potential threat, such as a kitchen.
Carbon Monoxide will not damage our house like a fire will, but it’s extremely hazardous. It is an odourless, colourless gas that is released when burning carbon material such as fuel.
Burning other substances such as wood, gas and coal can all release CO into your home. When you misuse any heating appliance, you run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home.
One way to get ahead of carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. It could potentially save your life, so it’s worth the money.
Before You Sleep
When you’re heading to bed, you should take the following steps in case of a fire at night:
- Close every door
- Keep hallways clear
- Unplug electrical appliances
- Do not charge devices overnight
- Blow out candles
- Make sure escape routes are clear
- Don’t leave washing machines or dryers on overnight.
If your home has been damaged by fire, call us at 1890 354 354 or contact us online to help restore your beautiful home to its former state.
Find out what the most common cause of house fires are so you can take steps today to reduce the risk.